Friday, December 15, 2023

My Top 10 Favorite Books (Not Counting the Obvious Ones)

Current 2/17/24

The Bible, hymnal, and Lutheran Confessions are my three favorite books. The Lutheran Confessions put forth the doctrines of Holy Scripture in truth and purity, teaching and defining the Lutheran faith for 500 years. The hymnal has to be second - a priceless treasure and heartbeat of the church on earth. My hymnal is the Lutheran Service Book, which I grew up with and which has become very near and dear to me. And of course Holy Scripture has to be first - the fount from which all truth flows, the only rule and norm for all doctrine, the very Words of the living God.

But what comes after these three? This is my ranking of my other favorite books of all time. Being a "favorite" ranking, this is a completely subjective exercise that gives me the liberty to ponder the 10 books which I have grown to love the most. I will occasionally try to update this post if things shuffle around; for instance, the Number One book is one that I only recently discovered.

I hope you enjoy it, and maybe it leads you to pick up something new! After each title, I will estimate how many times I have read (or listened to) the book altogether, and provide some information about why it has earned its place on the list. We will get started with Number 10.


Tier III - Lots of Fun, Good Quality

10. The Cry of the Icemark (Hill) 

Estimated read-throughs: 3

The Cry of the Icemark was a big favorite of mine as a kid, and admittedly I have not read it in some time. But the novel left quite an impression on me, and I am eager to give it another try. An imaginative fantasy novel, Hill's book shines with a diverse cast of fantastical creatures, satisfyingly epic battles, and plenty of thrills for for the action-loving fantasy reader. I also remember loving the sequel, but it was Hill's original novel that really captured my imagination and helped to form my love for fantasy early on. 


9.  Inheritance (Paolini)

Estimated Read-throughs: 3

The Eragon series was another big part of my childhood. Of the four books, I thought Inheritance was the strongest; in fact, I think each book successively was better than the last. Paolini's skills really shone through in this entry, from the fast-paced opening battle to the heartbreaking final scene. Eragon was a series that matured over the years, and by Inheritance, Paolini's characters had fully drawn me into their world. The book also managed to surprise and shock me, revealing twists that allowed the series to wrap up in such a way that the evil king could realistically be defeated and the land could move into a time of peace. There were several particularly memorable moments in this novel, like Eragon and company realizing that the world is round, and the swordplay between Eragon and Arya. Altogether a fun and engaging conclusion to what has become a very well-known series.


8. Ranger's Apprentice: Erak's Ransom (Flanagan)

Estimated Read-throughs: 2

We continue on the theme of biggest hits from my childhood. Ranger's Apprentice is a ton of fun. Flanagan, while he does borrow plenty of tropes and themes from the children's fantasy genre, is able to produce a vivid world and an original story that evokes excitement and curiosity around every turn. The Rangers themselves are, to me, some of the coolest characters in all fantasy, and Flanagan does a great job in sending them out on all sorts of fascinating missions, like the Jason Bournes of Araluen. Erak's Ransom does a great job with the desert setting, including an excellent horse race and more of a survival element. It is probably my favorite of the 10+ book series, which seemed to get a little tired after a while following this entry. But Flanagan really nailed it with Erak's Ransom.




Tier II - Very High Quality, All-Around Excellence 

7. Dune (Herbert)

Estimated Read-throughs: 1

We now graduate from my childhood loves into more mature novels. Dune was stunning. I listened on audiobook after doing some research on "best fantasy and sci fi books". I wanted to move beyond the children's series and see what else was out there. Well, Dune did not disappoint. I have heard it described as the Lord of the Rings of science fiction, and I think that just about nails it. Dune is epic and grand in a similar way to Tolkien's work, albeit with a very different tone and setting. The planet Arrakis itself is masterfully written, and the political intrigue, dialogue, and combat are all written with absolutely jaw-dropping expertise. This is a novel that is able to pull you in and wow you with its incredibly rich, life-like characters, story, and setting. Most other science fiction I have sampled feels pretty paltry by comparison. And now we also have a great movie adaptation!


6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Rowling)

Estimated Read-throughs: 4

I am not quite a Harry Potter fan in the classical sense. I did grow up on it, but was only just getting into the series as the final books were coming out. My favorite entry in the "canon" and the one that makes this list is Book 6. I thought it was just excellently written. The Deathly Hallows was weighed down with the need to tie up so many loose ends and character arcs, while the earlier books were either too long or too childish to really check all boxes for me. But in the penultimate entry, Rowling worked with a freedom and expertise built from years of experience to produce a gripping, mysterious, dark, and compelling story. This is one of those novels that feels like an old friend. I love coming back to it, asking the questions again, exploring the enchanted halls again, revealing mysteries again, and being drawn in by a great story written by an absolute trend-setter in the fantasy genre.


5. The Way of Kings (Sanderson)

Estimated Read-throughs: 2

Just as Dune introduced me to the more mature world of sci-fi, The Way of Kings was my introduction into modern adult fantasy, which is not actually a genre that I especially enjoy, having tried some other modern fantasy after this one. Even Sanderson's sequels have not held a great deal of appeal for me. But The Way of Kings, the first entry in the Stormlight Archive, was an absolute home run. Sanderson is stunningly imaginative with his settings, and colorful with his characters. He is an expert storyteller, and this particular novel is just enough epic world-building for me without an excess of subplots and minor characters. Two books later in the series, I simply can't get behind all the minor people and events I'm supposed to track and invest in. The magical technology details, the technicalities of spren mechanics, the tertiary character arcs - no thanks! But give a good solid origin story for a really cool character like Kaladin, and I can get behind it all day. I first experienced The Way of Kings through Graphic Audio, which was an added bonus and a real treat until I was able to obtain a hardcover copy, which has also seen some use. 


4. The Hammer of God (Giertz)

Estimated Read-throughs: 3

The Hammer of God is on one of the clearest and most beautiful expressions of the Gospel I have ever read. This feat is made all the more impressive by the fact that Giertz achieved this, not in some theological manual but as a fairly compelling work of historical fiction. A faithful Lutheran pastor himself, Giertz was able to distill the struggles of the conscience and the sweetness of the Gospel with uncommon skill and clarity through the lens of his characters. The Hammer of God cuts deep into the sinner's heart, then heals the wound with the only balm that truly brings life; not holy striving, not spiritual disciplines, not the labors of our hands. But rather Jesus, and Jesus Only. It's what I'd call a "must-read" for Christians with a troubled conscience and a taste for fiction.



Tier I - The Best of the Best - Absolute Chads (as the youth say)

3. Endurance (Lansing)

Estimated Read-throughs: 3

Endurance is almost unbelievably good. The funny thing is, I don't know exactly how to pin down what makes this book so unforgettable. The story itself is mind-blowing, but for Lansing to present it in such a way, with such expertise, such craft, such suspense... like I said, it almost defies belief. Endurance chronicles the doomed voyage of the titular ship, whose efforts to bear an Antarctic crossing expedition are foiled by pack ice. What follows is a survival story that can best be described as legendary. Lansing has clearly meticulously researched multiple primary source diaries, and uses them (along with his journalism experience) to put together the expedition's story in unforgettable fashion. Out of the three books at the top of this list, this holds the most certain guarantee that you will not be able to stop reading.




2. The Lord of the Rings (Tolkien)

Estimated Read-throughs: 1

Being a Gen Z simipleton, I spent many years of my young adult life without bothering to give The Lord of the Rings a sincere effort, even after seeing the movies. At long last, I made it past the halfway
mark of Fellowship, and then it was off to the races. Tolkien (and his characters) could not be accused of being hasty, but that is part of the joy of Middle Earth. Tolkien was able to create a fully realized world, rich with language, history, lore, heroes, and villains, and write within this world a story that will live on in the memory of anyone who reads it. The Lord of the Rings is written at a level of beauty and mastery beyond anything I've ever read outside the Holy Scriptures and hymnody of the church. That is part of the allure - every page is soaked with truth, goodness, and beauty. The Lord of the Rings is a joy to read, and it stands as a countercultural voice proclaiming the simple truths of good and evil, light and darkness.



1. Island of the World (O'Brien)

Estimated Read-throughs: 1

Island of the World stands at the very top of my list. It is very likely the least-known of my favorite three, but make no mistake - this is a novel that belongs among the very upper echelon of fiction in the last 100 years. There have been many great classic works of fiction, but few are written in light of the truth of the Gospel. Likewise, there have been many great Gospel-centered, Christ-focused works, but few could also stand alone as true masterpieces of fiction. Take Hammer of God for example - I would give it a resounding 10/10 as a proclamation of God's Word, but only maybe a 7. 5 or 8 in terms of literary quality and excellence. On the other hand, The Lord of the Rings gets a 10 in quality, but a 7.5 or 8 in making Christ its explicit focus (because that is not Tolkien's primary intention). But with Island of the World, Michael O'Brien manages to produce a work that is near-perfect, both as a work of literature and as a book about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. If that weren't enough, the novel is probably the most moving and emotionally impactful piece of non-ancient writing produced I've ever read, especially reading it as a Christian father and husband. Nor is the impact cheap, or the emotions superficial. Rather, Island in the World digs deep into the heart of man, into the highest joys and darkest despairs of life on earth, and uses them to point to the Resurrection of the dead, all presented through the lens of a well-researched saga of historical fiction. Now that's worth a Number 1 ranking.


No comments:

Post a Comment