Saturday, March 2, 2024

10 Miler Training - 10 Mile Long Run

 


10 miles in the books! Two weeks out from the race, I got in my first 10-mile run since the D.I.A.R.R.H.E.A.S. 50-miler. Time was 91:50 on a nice morning with fog in the low 40s. I wasn't worried about the pace at all, just getting acclimated to the distance and getting in a nice long aerobic effort. I will probably go for 8 next Saturday and then we're only a week out from the Lucky Leprechaun.

Today's run has not changed my thoughts on going out in 42 and setting the goal of sub-84, with the hopes of getting close to 80 flat. Today was significantly slower than that, but I'm not concerned for several reasons:

  • The route was actually measured at 10.2, but I want to make sure to get the full distance if I happen to cut my tangents too well or take corners too tight.
  • I was not trying to go fast at all.
  • I was talking on the phone for the last 35 minutes.
  • I lost time tinkering with various pieces of gear and clothing, taking a very brief wrong turn, and scrambling down an extremely steep concrete levee.
You get the point. Today was about the mileage, and we got the mileage done. I couldn't be more pleased with how the running is progressing, given my time constraints. Looking directly ahead, I'm going to put in my first 200-burpee workout tomorrow morning to cover my missed burpees for Friday and Saturday, and Sunday's assigned burpees as well. We'll do 20 down through 4 for a total of 204 to cover any miscounts.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment