Friday, July 5, 2024

24-25 NBA Season Preview

 


It's that time of year again!

The previous NBA season has ended, the draft is over, a few trades have been made. What could be more fun than making predictions about next year?

Before we begin, let's see how we did on last season's predictions:


Prediction: Giannis MVP  Actual: Nikola Jokic

Prediction: Scoot Rookie of the Year  Actual: Wembanyama

Prediction: Darko (Raptors) Coach of the Year  Actual: Mark Daigneault (Thunder)

Prediction: Nuggets vs Bucks (Bucks win)  Actual: Celtics win the title, over the Mavericks


Ok, so there's nowhere to go but up. I didn't get a single prediction right... but that's why we're here to try again! And that's why I don't participate in sports betting. Without further ado, here are my predictions for the 24-25 NBA season.


MVP Prediction: Luka Doncic












With voter fatigue for Jokic and with Doncic making his first Finals (and already sitting high on the MVP ladder), Luka has to be the choice for me. He's probably the betting favorite to win MVP next year. He's shown just how special he is with this year's Western Conference run, and I think he'll come back even better. I also love watching Doncic play.


Rookie of the Year Prediction: Donovan Clingan













It sounds like the Portland Trail Blazers may have gotten a steal with Donovan Clingan at the 7th pick. Coming off an NCAA title with Connecticut, Clingan seems like a really big, solid, consistent, skilled, and high-ceilinged 7'2" 280 lb force to be reckoned with. I honestly don't know much about him as a player, but none of the names or descriptions drafted before him seemed particularly exceptional. This was the first guy that really stood out for me.


Coach of the Year Prediction: Chris Finch















Having already finished high in the COTY voting, I think Finch will take home this honor next season. The Thunder were the shocker tied-for-1-seed in the West, but Finch's Wolves were almost as surprising, and I think an even better 24/25 campaign will lead to some more recognition for him. Also I believe he is British, and last year I (wrongly) picked another European guy named Darko. Maybe I'll keep trying Europeans until one works.


The Cavs: Make the Conference Finals










Number 45 is staying in Cleveland, and the Cavs have chosen a new head coach in Kenny Atkinson. The way I see it, things are looking up in Cleveland. Not only do we have what I think is an exceptionally good star player and head coach, but both guys actually love Cleveland and have bought in. They want to win, but better than that, they want to win in Cleveland. They want to bring the Cavs back to the top. 

I think the Cavs have some serious issues that need to be addressed, and some serious player development or player movement before they become contenders. But I think that we will take another step forward as soon as next season. I would like to officially predict a 50-32 regular season record, and a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals where they will be eliminated (By the Celitics). But the 25-26 season or 26-27, might be good enough to take a shot at the title.


Who will win it all?











Let's start by listing the teams that I consider to be serious conference title contenders for the championship next season - teams that wouldn't surprise me by making it to the Finals:

Western Conference: Nuggets, Mavericks, Thunder, Timberwolves

Eastern Conference: Celtics, Bucks, 76ers, Pacers, Knicks

The Western Conference is extremely strong right now, while the strength of the East is more heavily concentrated in Boston. It feels foolish to eliminate any one of the four names out West that I listed, as none of them have glaring weaknesses to me. But if I have to pick a favorite to make the Finals, it's the Minnesota Timberwolves. The Mavericks will probably improve a little (especially with the addition of Klay Thompson), but with the Timberwolves' youth and electric guys like Anthony Edwards coming into their own, as well as their stellar defense, I think they'll put it all together and make a Finals run.

In the East, the Celtics I'm sure are clear betting favorites, but can anyone challenge? The 76ers with the addition of Paul George? The Knicks with Mikal Bridges? I'm going to pick the Celtics. They are so well-coached that I think it will keep any kind of complacency from taking root following this group's first title. Their starters are locked in and paid handsomely. Boston is in such a good place right now that I just don't see them not making the Finals.

The Finals: Minnesota Timberwolves vs Boston Celtics

That set's up a Finals matchup of Timberwolves vs Celtics. I think it will be a great experience for Minnesota, but in the end Boston is all set to execute back-to-back titles. Celtics in 6 for the win.

Celtics win the Finals in 6 games.











Miscellaneous Predictions

Before we bring our predictions to an official close, I'd like to finish with a few miscellaneous predictions for the upcoming season, increasing my likelihood of getting at least one guess right in this article...

#1: The Los Angeles Lakers will make the playoffs. I don't think they are good enough to make the Finals, but LeBron will contribute a little extra juice so he has the chance to make the playoffs with his son. Super cool. I'm predicting a 6-seed.

#2: The Best Record in the NBA will be 62-20. I'm not sure who will have it, but that will be the record. 

#3: The New York Knicks will win the NBA Cup. In the second year of the league's in-season tournament, I think the Knicks will get some attention early-season for taking home the win. I think they'll be ready to play elite basketball earlier in the season than many other teams.

#4: The Clippers won't make the playoffs. After finishing with the 4-seed, this team is, as usual, not going to figure it out. They already lost Paul George to the 76ers, and their other stars are almost always hurt. I don't know why teams don't take players' injury-prone tendencies into account more heavily.

#5: Donovan Mitchell will finish #4 in MVP voting. The Cavs need more support for this one-man-army, but until that happens, he's going to continue putting up insane numbers. 


We'll revisit this article periodically, and in June of 2025 we can see if anything went my way this time around!


No comments:

Post a Comment