Thursday, April 13, 2023

Boston Marathon 2023 Preview


Letsrun.com has already published this race preview and this Kipchoge piece, both of which I think are excellent. I just feel the need to throw in my two cents before the big race.

In case you missed it, Eliud Kipchoge, the marathon legend who I have written about previously on this blog, will be running the Boston Marathon for the first time this Monday, April 17th. I was really thinking about taking a day off work and flying to Boston to see it happen - it's that big a deal - but it is not to be. I'm just psyched to see what happens. 

Kipchoge is going up against a field with excellent Boston experience, excellent World Marathon Majors experience, excellent overall speed, and even a runner who has beaten him (the 2020 London marathon champ, Shura Kitata).

My prediction? Kipchoge wins Boston with a time of 2:04:20.

Th weather and wind may not be great, so he will be content with running a little "slow." We know that his goal is to win, and he doesn't want to prove anything else in terms of hitting fast times.

There will be a highly competitive pack out front, and I bet he'll have a couple guys hanging with him even into miles 20, 21, and 22. But somewhere in those last 2-4 miles, I think he will show the world again what he is capable of.

Bring on the hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment