Saturday, November 4, 2023

New York City Marathon Preview + Predictions

 


Tomorrow is the day of the 2023 New York City Marathon! All credit to the Letsrun.com Men's Preview for my background knowledge of this year's event.

I like NYC compared to the other majors because of its more "genuine" hillier nature and lack of pacemakers, and the fact that it is held on American soil. My ranking of World Marathon Majors from most to least favorite is as follows:

1. Boston

2. NYC

3. Berlin

4. London

5. Tokyo

6. Chicago

This year is exciting because it is pretty wide open. The winner will very likely be one of these men:

  • Shura Kitata
  • Tamirat Tola
  • Albert Korir
  • Abdi Nageeye
  • Maru Teferi
  • Edward Cheserek
  • Cam Levins
My money is on Cam Levins because the dude is a straight up Canadian dropping 2:05:36 in Tokyo. NYC (along with Boston) is the kind of race where total wildcards will occasionally put together a stunning win to inspire us American hobby joggers. Meb did it, Flanagan did it, Kawauchi did it, and Levins could do it. And Cameron Levins is already a bit more than a total wildcard; he has said he wants to go for the win. I also want Edward Cheserek to do well, a guy I was following while he was in college taking names and I was in high school taking participation ribbons. Here is my official prediction:

1st Place - Cam Levins (2:08:09)
2nd Place - Albert Korir (2:08:23)
3rd Place - Edward Cheserek (2:08:52)

No comments:

Post a Comment