Monday, February 19, 2024

The Saucony Kinvara - Full Circle


In the early days of my middle / high school distance running career, I bought my first "serious" running shoe: the Brooks Ravenna 2 - in the color pictured below. The shoes were fine - I didn't get injured in them and life went on as I built up my runs from 2, to 3, to 4 miles. I remember my first 5 mile run, and the amazing realization of how far I could go.


But eventually, the time came for a new pair of shoes. At the time I was developing into a total shoehead, spending hours researching the latest and greatest models. So I already knew what shoe I wanted - and the priority was lightness. I wanted something light and fast - and that's exactly what the Kinvara 3 promised. My Dad and I went to Dick's Sporting Goods, and trying them on, I was amazed by the featherlike feel. We bought the pair - maybe $90 or so, and headed home.

I still remember my first run in those shoes (pictured at the top of the post). Leaving the park across from the high school where every cross country practice started, I was absolutely giddy with joy. I felt like I was flying, like nothing was on my feet. It's amazing what a difference that minimalist feel can make.

Now, more than 10 years have passed since I had that first run in my Kinvara 3s. I've raced nearly every distance from 400 meters through 50 miles. But the last two years have had almost no time for running. So I signed up for a 10-miler, and with only a little over a month to go, it was time to start training.

The problem, however, was my right knee. For close to a year now, every time I try to step up my physical activity, my right knee gets sore and tender. Basketball, volleyball, burpees, boxing, and of course running - my knee seems unprepared for all of it. So, with the need to get in some consistent running, I decided to demote the old Asics from running to casual-only status. Similar to those Ravenna 2s long ago, my Asics Venture 8s are good shoes, but heavy, with full-rubber coverage, aggressive lugs, and heavy uppers. And so, for the second time, I made the jump. The rebirth of my running career was about to begin - and in what other shoe but the Saucony Kinvara.


This time it was the Kinvara 14s. Saucony has largely stuck to their guns with the Kinvara line, keeping them lightweight and snappy. They have become more cushioned over the years (as you can see by comparing the two images), following the broader trend of the running world. But for the sake of my knee, I was ok sacrificing some of that minimalist feel. And boy, am I happy with my purchase. Like the Kinvaras of my youthful days, this edition has only a couple sparing patches of rubber for abrasion resistance and traction. I tried renforcing this with Shoe Goo, but it didn't stick. However, for me, the sacrifice is worth it - especially if I get a decent life out of this pair. Just $50 on Amazon doesn't hurt, either.

I have devolved into much less of a shoehead these days, recognizing the higher value in consistent training as opposed to finding just the right pair of shoes. I spent only about an hour in research for this purchase, as opposed to my old average of...... let's move on. Find something that looks good, and go for it, instead of researching it to death.

It was such a joy springing out for my first run in these new shoes. That almost-forgotten lightness and responsiveness was something special. Over a decade later, and the Kinvaras have helped to rekindle the joy of running. They will be on my feet for the 10 miler on March 16th, and God-willing for many more runs following, until my knee starts hurting again.




No comments:

Post a Comment