Monday, May 20, 2024

NBA Conference Finals Preview + Predictions

 


Well, I did predict that the Cavs would win their first playoff series and then lose the second. It still stings though to see them go out in 5 games to the Celtics. But the other two quarterfinal series were more competitive, going to 6, 7, and 7 games. Now, our field is set with a very interesting mix of four teams:

Pacers - Not expected to actually make it this far, young and fun team apparently

Timberwolves - Also young and fun - great regular season but I figured they would get beat by Denver

Celtics - Best team in the league all season, but can they finally bring home the hardware?

Mavericks - My favorite of the bunch, due to the presence of the Doncic / Irving dynamic duo

Let's break down each matchup, and then look at my predicted Finals matchup. 


Pacers vs Celtics

Celtics favorites and for good reason; I don't think Indiana has the raw firepower and star play to push them over the edge. They'll be hungry for more next year, though. I don't know if Tatum and company are mentally good enough to win it all, but I think they can handle the Pacers in a best of 7. Celtics in 6.


Mavericks vs Timberwolves

Luka and Kyrie have the skills and experience, and really don't want to let this golden opportunity pass them by. Minnesota is fun and really excellent, but they probably lack the playoff poise to put together four wins against these Mavericks. Look for some heroic games from both of the Mavericks' stars, and an exciting but decisive end for Edwards, KAT, and company. Mavericks in 6.


Celtics vs Mavericks

That would leave us with a Finals matchup of Boston vs Dallas. Part of me can't help but think that Boston has to actually win it all one of these years, considering they've been on the cusp with this group for maybe half a decade. The other part of me can't help but remember the failures and mental lapses of the past, the weak mindset that has plagued Tatum and his compatriots for years. I think Luka and Kyrie have that killer instinct, and for that reason I'll take the Mavericks in 7 to win it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment