Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Pocket Notebook Ideals

 


When you use a tool on a very frequent basis, I think it's natural to form a strong opinion about that tool. For example, you probably have a pretty clear understanding of what you do and don't like about your phone, or your car, or your front door. 

This is how it is with me and pocket notebooks. I use them daily, and I've used a wide variety of them. Not only that, but I enjoy them. Again, imagine how much thought a car guy would put into the car he drives every day.

Despite experiencing a resurgence, pocket notebooks are still small fries overall in the modern American consciousness. For those who do use them, each person forms specific preferences based on factors like their vocations, usage environments, most common types of note-taking, and writing instruments. 

There are three priorities I've come to value and appreciate the most in my pocket notebooks.

First is durability. It is essential that my notebook remain intact, undamaged, and functional until it is filled. I've had too many notebooks with covers split along the fold, notebooks with pages that are susceptible to crumpling and tearing, and notebooks that are overly vulnerable to moisture. My favorite notebooks have reliably kept their shape in the pocket, being built with high-quality materials. They have had durable covers, resistant both to tearing and minor water exposure. And they have had high-quality pages that can endure some abuse.

Second is usability. My pocket notebooks need to be highly functional and reliable tools. It's best if the inside paper is amenable to a wide variety of writing utensils, whatever happens to be on hand, but usually my gel pen. The notebooks need to be small, thin, and flexible to fit in the pocket without discomfort or bulk. The pages need to be ruled with both written text and tables in mind, as well as the occasional coordinate plane. Graph paper is ideal for a wide variety of applications. Squares should be appropriately sized for my handwriting. It's best when the notebooks provide space for personal information, as well as other useful texts, tables, and writings.

Third is asesthetics. The best pocket notebooks not only work well, but look good. An elegant cover design is a big part of this - something you look at every day should have an element of beauty and good form. Choices regarding colors, photographs, artwork, fonts, etc. all play into the joy and pleasure of using these tools on a daily basis. I appreciate when my pocket notebooks give thought to unity in design. Attention to detail goes a long way in a small, simple product like a pocket notebook.

For me, Log and Jotter meets all three of my pocket notebook priorities, and I will continue using their products as long as they stay in business. Field Notes and Rite in the Rain are the other front-runners, but each has weaknesses that Log and Jotter has been able to solve.

My hope is that the soon-to-be-prototyped Endurance Logbook will build on and learn from the excellence of Log and Jotter, and offer something more specific: not just a great pocket notebook, but a great pocket notebook for Christian men. We are in a spiritual environment where every ounce of divine aid is desperately needed, and the Word and prayer are sorely lacking, despite easier and freer access than at any other point in human history. The Logbook intentionally brings the focus back to the Word and Sacraments, and to prayer and meditation. And I'm designing it to meet the highest standards for excellence in the intersection of durability, usability, and aesthetics. As an avid and opinionated pocket notebook user, it's an exciting prospect. My very first pocket notebook was homemade, and I've continued to grow and learn more about the design and construction of pocket notebooks. I think that the trial and error of my years in the "business" will help to yield an exceptional and invigoratingly fresh pocket notebook for those who, like me, highly value these little tools. Lord-willing, there will be an Endurance Logbook in your pocket some day!

Happy note-taking!

No comments:

Post a Comment